As a trusted partner in Chicago’s South Side, WPD Management provides high-standard, affordable housing supported by hands-on, high-quality service. We strive to build strong partnerships within the community to ensure the safety and well-being of our residents. To achieve our high standards, we rely upon the effectiveness of our team to provide homes that exceed the expectations of both our residents and clients. We have grown quickly since our founding a decade ago and now own and operate thousands of rental properties. As we continue to expand, we seek to hire a Senior Project Manager who will add to our capacity, revolutionize the way we manage our projects, support our trusted contractors, and take our team to the next level.
Where will I be located? When will I start?
The ideal candidate will be based in Chicago or be able to relocate to Chicago. Finding the right person is more important than getting someone quickly. That said, this is a critical role, and we are eager to bring the right person on as soon as we find them.
Who will I report to?
You will report to our founding partners, Eric Green and Kevin Nugent.
Who will report to me?
You will be working alongside and serve as a mentor to a high performing team of our Project Managers and have the direct responsibility of managing a variety of trusted contractors on a project-by-project basis.
What will I make?
WPD Management offers a highly competitive base salary and bonus. We are happy to discuss specifics during the first interview with qualified candidates.
What will I do?
As WPD Management takes on the ever-evolving opportunities within the South Side’s real estate market, this person will actively supervise multiple construction and renovation projects to ensure they are completed on time, on budget and to our high standards of quality. Within the first 9 months, this person should be trusted to completely, independently, execute on these projects. This will require both industry knowledge and strong management practice to build trusting relationships with our clients, contractors, project managers, and other leadership.
Beyond the day-to-day of managing projects, they will have developed strong relationships with their coworkers and made their mark to improve our processes. They will hold others accountable to a high level of detail, both on the worksite and when utilizing the back-end software system (Buildertrend) that drives all of our process. By the end of their first several months, this person should feel empowered and comfortable making recommendations that enhance our systems and processes and have helped to inspire others to follow suit.
Finally, by the end of their first year, this person will have demonstrated the capacity to grow into a long-term leader at WPD. They will do this by establishing themselves as a critical point of contact and show a deeper interest in how the business runs outside of their core area of focus. They will have begun tackling challenges that truly change the way we manage all projects at the company and shown a genuine interest in leading a team long term.
What are the requirements?
It’s not a short list, but we want to get this right. From an industry experience standpoint, this person will:
- Have extensive trade/construction expertise. Ideally, this will include some experience with residential multi-family units. Additionally, they will have knowledge of relevant certifications, safety procedures and the inspection processes that impact projects like the ones we take on.
- Have a proven history of project management and be comfortable leading projects to completion. They will have a proven process/approach that they apply when starting a new project and a clear point of view on the best way to hold others accountable to ensure projects are delivered to their high standards.
From a project management experience perspective, this person will:
- Be extremely comfortable with the software tools needed to run a project effectively. Ideally, this would include experience with Buildertrend. At a minimum, they will be a strong Excel user and have leveraged other project management software in previous roles.
- Clearly demonstrate the power of prior planning. They will be the type to always begin with a plan while understanding the importance of flexibility throughout a project. They will be known for their high attention to detail and be able to clearly articulate their standards to others.
- Have a history of suggesting improvements at their previous company(s) that have led to long term, positive change.
From a leadership perspective, this person will:
- Be trustworthy and be known for meeting their commitments. They will embrace getting their hands dirty when needed and offer to help others before being asked.
From a cultural perspective, this person will:
- Be happiest when managing their own professional path. They are not afraid to ask questions and seek guidance, but comfortable creating their own plan to accomplish their work.
- Be comfortable working across both culturally and socioeconomically diverse landscapes. Understanding of the Spanish language is a major plus.